Monday, November 26, 2007

Acts 17:10-15

Read Acts 17:10-15

Let us focus for a moment on v. 11)

The Bereans are here lauded for questioning, for searching the Scriptures to test the words of the apostle...

An aside:
I was raised a nominal Catholic, by which I mean that I considered myself Catholic but rarely went to church. I remember, however, asking the adults questions about different things, such as the “holy water” or the need to go to confession, and being told to be quiet…to not ask questions. As a teenager, I studied with the Jehovah’s Witnesses because one of my sisters was a member of Watchtower. Same deal with them…I’d ask questions and be told to just be quiet. My sister once even told me I was possessed by Satan! I share this only because I want to tell you how important it is to question things…one of the things the Lord used to draw me to Himself was the fact that in real Christianity I have never been told to just shut up…and the more I study the Bible the more answers I get. This is a healthy thing because I have made this faith in Christ my own. He is my Lord not because my parents told me He was (they didn’t) but because He drew me to Himself!

Realize this:
We do not come to church, that is, we should not come to church, with a lazy attitude...even if you do not take notes from the pastors sermon...pay attention...not because you want to catch someone saying something wrong but because we cannot assume that everyone at all times will teach correctly. And do not take slips of the tongue as examples of bad teaching...but be sure to approach...to ask, to hold accountable those who teach and preach...do not be lazy Believers!
We do not come to church, indeed we should not come to church, with a lazy attitude...even if you do not take notes from the pastors sermon...pay attention...not because you want to catch someone saying something wrong but because we cannot assume that everyone at all times will teach correctly. And do not take slips of the tongue as examples of bad teaching...but be sure to approach...to ask, to hold accountable those who teach and preach...do not be lazy Believers.

Look now at verse 13...

These POOR men!! Those from Thessalonica HEAR about what's going on at Berea and go there...that's how much they hate the preaching of the Word!!! Wherever Paul and Silas (and Timothy) go they encounter persecution! What is most amazing is that this does not stop them from continuing their ministry!

Ask) Why not? Do they care so little for their own lives? What is motivating these men to press on in the face of beatings and the very real possibility of death? (Discuss)

Read Philippians 1:19-24; 17-18
These men continue to do as they do because they serve the Risen Christ!

What is death when one serves such a God? Wherever they go, they plant seeds and start churches!!! And they do it because it is their joy in the midst of tribulation to serve such a God!

Therefore, why fear death?

Therefore, hy fear the animosity of man?

Such fear is set on the back burner BECAUSE of the character of the One whom they proclaim to the people!!! And guess what? We serve the same God!!!

Where then is our boldness?

See now again, however, the manner in which the Jews reacted when they "learned that the word of God was preached..." They are mad! They stir up others against those who preached God's Word!

Recall Genesis 3:15
"I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed."

Realize this: wherever the Word of God is preached...there Satan will have his forces ready to oppose and to sow deception and ill will towards those who proclaim the truth!
Again, we cannot help the fact that even as people are saved from their sin...others will oppose our efforts to evangelize them...so trust in God for your protection and be bold for His name's sake!! After all, remember what kind of God we serve!

Amen?

No comments: