Sunday, January 20, 2008

Thoughts on Fellowship

Our pastor has been teaching through the book of John, a sermon series which he began in November of 2006. Although we are currently in chapter 9, it is not just because he is teaching verse by verse (though he is), but also because he has taken a couple of detours and also has been involved in training pastors in Russia through the Slavic Gospel Association www.sga.org

The sermons have taught me much and it is such a pleasure to sit under the teaching of our pastor. I don’t recall if I’ve mentioned it here before, but I’ve shared with my family and with some friends that this church has truly presented me with many blessings and opportunities to learn. This is the first church I’ve been at where I feel intimidated at the prospect of teaching adult Sunday school! I love teaching, and I hope someday the Lord will open up an opportunity for me here, but it is with some trepidation that I consider it because of the quality of the teaching from the pulpit! I think to myself that I would have to study and prepare more than ever to be able to teach at this local church! Sad to say, it is the substandard preaching at other churches that made it so easy to teach…when teaching from the pulpit is made up of surface messages then it is very easy to teach Sunday school, since all you need to do is dig into the Word. Here, however, at this church, I know that my homework will truly need to be done…I look forward to the challenge!

Today was the annual business meeting of the church, and the business at hand was the approval of the choice for deacons and elders. As such, since the meeting was to take place right after the service, the pastor cut his sermon somewhat short (which means he preached for a mere 45 minutes!). Rather than continue in John this morning, he gave a presentation of his last trip to Russia and then compared the Russian to the American church. It was a message of exhortation and one that is much needed in all churches. One of the things he mentioned was the zeal of our Russian brothers and sisters…in churches of 100 or more people, you will see but 5 or so cars in the parking lot, since most of them do not own a vehicle. They still come though, regardless of the weather…walking, on bikes, on bus, crammed into those aforementioned cars! Why? Because they understand that they are a family! Referring to each other as “brothers” and “sisters,” they recognize the importance of fellowship…but what about us?

Unfortunately I think the American Christian will use any excuse to stay at home!

Did it snow a little bit? Can’t go to church 'cause the roads are too slick! Yet would they cancel a trip to the mountains? Probably not.

Stayed up watching a movie? Can’t go ‘cause I need my rest!

How sad, no?

Where is the importance we place on gathering together as His people and loving one another? Our pastor compared Russian Believers to moth balls…now I don’t know anything about moth balls but apparently they stick together when they come in contact ‘cause he said that’s how Russian Christians come together. American Christians? He compared us to ball bearings that come together and instantly go apart. Isn’t that too true? I believe this happens because we don’t truly invest in one another’s lives, we don’t truly see one another as members of a family, saved by our Lord and bound together by the Holy Spirit in a more intimate manner than bonds of the flesh.

Brothers and sisters, let us show by our commitment that we actually believe we are family…let us demonstrate by our love for one another that we are His. And you know what? Let us be sincere. I thought in my last church that I had friends and family, but events proved otherwise. So I may be more reluctant now to open myself up, but its not going to stop me from trying yet again!

God bless!

No comments: