Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Brief Thoughts on Genesis 15

Those of you who know me well are aware that the book of Genesis is among my favorite books in Scripture. In addition to this, chapter 15 has to be among my favorite chapters from Genesis! The reason is quite simple...it serves to remind me of the awesome trustworthiness of God. I know that I can rely upon Him to remain true to the promises He has made; true to His covenants. And so it is that I know that my relationship with Him cannot be severed by my stupidity or by my failure to fully ignore this body of flesh in which I dwell.

Indeed, if my salvation depends on myself, then I am eternally lost! I have recently come across people who believe they are unable to sin, indeed that they are holy as God is holy. I don't share their views...the children of God sin, did not David have a man killed in order to cover up his lust? Was he not a man after God's own heart (1 Samuel 13:14)? Indeed he was. Therefore it seems to me that it was a good thing for David that God had chosen him, or David's actions would have separated him from God forever! Likewise, in my own life...I see that I am so unworthy of His mercy, of His grace. I could catalogue the number of sins I am guilty of on this day alone! Don't worry, I won't actually do so, but I hope you understand what I mean!

So yes, when I read the book of Genesis, it is such a joy to turn to Genesis 15:17 and read that "...it came to pass, when the sun went down and it was dark, that behold, there appeared a smoking oven and a burning torch that passed between those pieces."

I could go on and on about the meaning of this verse, but I've already done so on a different post. Suffice it to say that it ranks right up there with Romans 8:38-39 as far as giving us assurance of salvation. So as I get ready to head to bed, I do so with a heart at rest.

My God is worthy of trust. For while God is for us, who can be against us? (Romans 8:31)

Amen!

No comments: