Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Heaven Misplaced: Christ's Kingdom on Earth" by Douglas Wilson

ISBN #9781591280514

I have been meaning to do this review for some time but I was unsure of how to go about it since while I disagreed with the premise of the book and the theological conclusions...it was very well written and the author came across in a very loving manner. As an alumni of the University of Idaho, I am familiar with Mr. Wilson though I do not know him personally, so it was a genuine pleasure to read the book and find out in more detail what he believes regarding this issue.

But what is the verdict? Well I can certainly not recommend it in the sense that I was overcome by his logic and his arguments, but I CAN say that those who already believe in Wilson's type of eschatology will love this book. As a premillenialist however, I was unconvinced by the arguments. If, on the other hand, you believe that Christians will "conquer" the planet and prepare it for the return of Christ, then you will like it. :)

If there is one criticism I would offer in regards to the interaction of the author with the premillenial view, it is that he seems to deride it as a pessimistic view whose supporters view this world as "God's Vietnam," which is simply not true and nothing more than a caricature of the position. He refers to his position as "historical optimism" and that post millenialists actually believe the Great Commission will be "successfully completed." Well, I know that I don't hold to his eschatology and yet I too believe the Great Commission WILL be successfully completed too! :)

I guess this is not the best book review ever...I can't really interact as much with any points or this would be a very long review, and to be honest I simply feel that while the book is aimed at convincing people that the author's view is correct, it does not achieve that desire. Anyone who has studied the Word for any sufficient length of time has probably arrived at their view through careful study. I confess I am biased, but all I can say is that such careful study will not lead to the position of the book. If it converts anyone, it will be someone either new to the faith or a professing Christian for whom study of the Word is not all that important and is quick to be convinced by any argument. I do want to be quick to point out that while I think Mr. Wilson is wrong, I do not consider him guilty of any damning heresy. A Christian can be saved and yet hold to his erroneous view! :)

So there you go. Read the book to find out what others believe or to be further assured of your own convictions if you already hold to the view it advocates. For myself, I am glad to have it as a reference source, but that is all.

No comments: