Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Just Do Something" by Kevin DeYoung

ISBN #978-0-8024-5838-4

I want to start out by saying that Joshua Harris makes me mad. I'm not mad at him for anything bad but because he gives this book a great review in the foreword, almost taking the thoughts right out of my mind! ;-)

Really though, this short book (122 pages) is a quick and excellent read. I don't know that it is necessarily unique since John MacArthur has written similar thoughts in his book "God's Will Is Not Lost," but what makes this book such a great resource is that DeYoung has a talent for bringing this topic down to where even a layperson such as myself can fully understand what he is talking about. His writing is clear and concise and he has a knack for bringing humor into a very serious topic. I am sure, in fact, that even those who hold to the view he is critiquing will find the book useful.

And what view is he challenging here? The view that God's will is some mysterious thing we need to fret about. He credibly maintains that so long as you are not violating God's commands, then you are free to make decisions as you desire...to use your freedom in Christ! Again, what God commands we must do and what He forbids we must not do, but apart from this, do whatever you think is right to do!

But let me share from the introduction by Joshua Harris so that you will get an even better idea of what exactly this book is about:
"It is God's will for you to read this book. Yes, I'm talking to you. What are the odds that you would "just happen" to pick up this book and flip open to this page and start reading? Obviously it's a sign. Of all the millions of books in the world, you found this one. Wow. I have chills. Do not pass up this divinely orchestrated moment. If you miss this moment there's a good chance you will completely miss God's will for the rest of your life and spend your days in misery and regret...

If you're prone to think of God's will in the way I so threateningly described it, this book will help set you straight..."

Classic don't you think? Well I think so, and this little book is definitely a keeper, one I will no doubt consult every so often. Buy it and read it, you will not regret it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about picking up these last couple of Kevin DeYoung books but I have such a huge backlog, I haven't picked them up yet.

Learning God's soverignty in all things teaches a person a lot about prayer. You look back on a situation and you say "Oh thank you God for bringing me through that" and then you realize that whatever "that" was wouldn't have been resolved if you hadn't been depending on God and praying. It blows my mind when I realize that God's perfect will includes my own sovereign choices to accomplish what he has determined before the foundation of the world. Not only that- even when I'm blowing it- he has determined THAT beforehand as well....while still hating it (my sin) with all of his being.