Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Let Us Weep for the Lost!

I read one of the most convicting quotes from Charles H. Spurgeon this evening and felt compelled to post it and comment on it. Here's the quote:

"If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. If they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees. Let no one go there unwarned and unprayed for."

I have to confess that my heart was pierced as I read these words, thinking of those who I know that don't believe. Do I share with them the words of Scripture regarding their eternal destination? Do I present to them the free offer of God? I don't want to be counted amongst those who relish the thought of someone spending an eternity in hell, I want to be in agony over the thought!

What about it brothers and sisters? Are we wrapping our arms around the knees of those walking to hell? Are we imploring them to turn away from the path of destruction and receive the gift of eternal life by repenting of their sins and submitting to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of their lives? Why not?! As Spurgeon says, if to hell they must go, then let it be over our fallen bodies, over our protests and despite our groans of terror for them! Let us gladly accept the mocking and the accusation of being fools if it means we faithfully proclaim to them the Gospel, the only message they will ever hear that can save them from the fires of hell.

Oh what fools we truly are if we think keeping silent will win us any good will! I don't want the good will of someone determined to go to hell. I want them to think me a Bible thumping fool! I want them to remember that I shared the Truth with them. And o what a joy God uses me as the tool by which He saves even one of these!

1 comment:

Lydia Lee said...

What convicting words, Ezequiel! I've just returned home from Bible study, where we were talking about this very thing ... and oh how I have been convicted of my lack of boldness in sharing the Gospel! It saddens me to think that I am allowing my fear to stop me from sharing the exquisite love that I have so graciously received ... that I apparently care about only myself. I'm praying so desperately that I would take note of all the opportunities that God gives me to share His word with others ... and that I will be bold enough to speak the words of truth, no matter what others might think or say. I want to start seeing others through the eyes of Jesus and His vast love for them ... for He loves THEM just as much as He loves ME ... ooo I'm feeling a blog post coming on!