Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Thoughts on Peter

I have finished reading the Gospel of John and as I finished the final chapter my thoughts were drawn to the Apostle Peter. Of all the men who followed Jesus in his earthly ministry I tend to identify with him very much because he gives me hope that it is quite possible to be a man of many weaknesses and be fervently in love with the Lord at the same time! :-) Indeed, Peter strikes me as a man of violent passions, impetuous and very much led by his emotions. While I don't claim to possess the virtues which were his, I often feel like I am a man like Peter.

It is because of this that I took a moment to think on the last passage of John where we read the following: "So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Feed My lambs.” He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Tend My sheep.” He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.”
Jesus said to him, “Feed My sheep. (John 21:15-17)

What struck me about this passage is how it relates to an earlier passage. You see, we learn in John 18:15-18 and 18:25-27 that Peter three times denies that he is a follower of Jesus Christ because of his fear of the Jewish authorities. Indeed, so afraid is he that we are told in Matthew 26:74 that he even "began to curse and swear, saying 'I do not know the Man!'" Of course, Jesus had already predicted this very thing and told Peter it would happen (see John 13:38), which is why as soon as Peter denies Jesus the third time he is overcome with sorrow upon hearing the rooster crow...the Scripture telling us he "wept bitterly" (Matthew 26:75).

Returning to the passage quoted above, it is so beautiful to see that, at least from what I perceive, Jesus is manifesting grace to Peter here. Did Peter deny his Lord three times? Well then three times shall he confess his love for Jesus! And, ah Peter...he is so given over to his emotions and so focused on himself that he appears to miss this and instead of weeping with joy he is grieved by the Lord questioning his love, as if Jesus had no call to do so. And yet, we know don't we? We know that the book of John is written for our edification (see John 20:30-31), and so we can see clearly what Peter missed. Jesus manifested grace to Peter here, picking him up spiritually if you will, and setting him on the right path. A path which Peter, apparently, walked well, for this same Peter who was afraid of the Jewish authorities will later declare before the Sanhedrin that Jesus is Lord (see Acts 4:8-12)! And when ordered to shut up about Jesus, how does this man react? He boldly refuses to cease preaching Christ because he "ought to obey God rather than man." (Acts 5:29).

Wow. Peter the one whom the Lord ordered to feed His sheep, the one whom the Lord protected from the Devil. The one to whom much grace was shown...may God grant that I be more like him in standing firm for His truth, because I fear I am too much like the earlier Peter...

God bless

No comments: