Sunday, February 1, 2009

How to Respond to Heresy- A Quote from John Calvin

As many of you know, I have been reading a book called "The Expository Genius of John Calvin" by Steven J. Lawson for some time now. It is really quite the excellent book but I have been distracted much lately by some bothersome fiction books that demanded too much of my attention. Well today I picked up Lawson's book again and I found this little gem on pg. 77:

"When it comes to heresies and wicked perversions of the truth which distort everything, we should react as if we have been punched or stabbed in the stomach or neck. For in what does the life and well-being of the church consist, if not in the pure Word of God? If someone came and poisoned the meat which we needed for food, would we tolerate it? No, it would make us strike out! The same reasoning applies to the gospel. We must always raise our hands to defend the purity of its doctrine, and we must not allow it to be corrupted in any way whatever."

Oh that God's people would treasure His truth's this much!

I should be finished with this little book in a couple of days, at which point I will post a small review of it.

God bless

No comments: