Monday, March 16, 2009

"Deadline" by Randy Alcorn

isbn #1-57673-316-5

Randy Alcorn is one of my favorite Christian novelists and this is the book that first exposed me to his writings. The book deals primarily with one Jake Woods, a liberal newspaper columnist in Portland whose life is turned upside down by a tragic car crash that takes the lives of his two best friends, Doc and Finney.
The book revolves around the challenge of the two worldviews represented by these two men and the battle for Jake's ultimate destiny. Doc, the successful popular doctor with no need or time for God, and Finney, the Christian businessmann whose entire life was devoted to serving God. When Jake discovers that the accident that took their lives and left him injured was not quite the accident he thought it was, he launches into a personal investigation wherein he discovers exactly who his friends truly were. With the help of such memorable characters as Clarence Abernathy (a fellow columnist at the newspaper) and Ollie Chandler (a police detective), Jake puts all the pieces together. Far more importantly than the crime, however, Jake comes face to face with himself...with the man he has become. As he compares himself to his two friends he begins to question everything that he has believed, and he begins to see how his actions have affected everyone around him, from his daughter to his ex-wife, to his coworkers.

Ultimately, the book is a very satisfying read. Alcorn's depictions of heaven are beautiful. If you are familiar with his non-fiction book "Heaven," you should know that it was from writing this novel and its sequel that Alcorn was inspired to write it. In the novel, Finney dies and is taken to heaven, where he meets His Savior and all the saints that have gone before him. As Jake deals with his life on earth, Finney prays for him and roots for him from heaven. Doc, however, dies and finds himself NOT in heaven. While Alcorn's depictions of heaven are wonderful, his depiction of hell is terrifying. Alcorn does not seem to believe in a literal hell of undying fire, but there is nothing in his version of hell that minimizes the truth that it is not a place where anyone wants to find him or herself!

So pick up a copy of this book and read it. A quick aside here...in the newer versions, it is a bit misleading that they refer to this book as the first in the "Ollie Chandler" series. Ollie Chandler is certainly an important character, but to refer to this book as the first in an "Ollie Chandler" series is to suggest he is the main character...and he is not. His is a support role in this book, as it is in the second book, where Clarence Abernathy is the main character. Ollie Chandler does not become the main character until the third book. Still, don't let that affect whether you read this book or not. Read it and you'll find yourself wanting to read the next two. And by the time you read the third one you'll certainly have become a fan of Ollie Chandler! I certainly hope that Alcorn writes more books revolving around this character!

4 comments:

Lydia Lee said...

I loved this book! It took me until just this last fall to finally get around to reading it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. SUCH amazing, encouraging truths in it, and yes, Alcorn's depiction of heaven was absolutely beautiful ... making me realize how little I think of it as a literal place (sadly).

I wasn't as enthralled with the second one, which I quit reading, but that was my own personal taste ... still the first one was amazing!

JoyBeth said...

Lydia, have you read Deception? That book was the greatest! It was hilarious and suspenseful. In fact, I think Ezequiel, the older boys, and I have all read it more than once.

Lydia Lee said...

No, I have not read Deception. I think that's the only one the Trinity library didn't have ... so I haven't tried it yet. Maybe if I actually make time to go to the public library, I could check it out and read it! :)

Enoch_Elijah said...

Joy beat me to it but I was going to recommend "Deception" too. It's the best of the books he's written with those characters.

On another note, dear Lydia, I am shocked and concerned that you do not make time to go to the public library. We may have to have a little chat about this major defect in your current lifestyle! ;-)

And don't worry, you can read our copy of "Deception" when you are visiting us next week ok? I can't wait!