Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Galatians 4:16

"Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?"

Not much I want to write about tonight, but I am feeling a little bit melancholy because it seems to me that there are so few people out there who truly hunger after the things of God. I have found it so difficult to have friends within the church because those who I have identified as having a zeal for the Lord turn out to have it...in church. Outside of church, it seems the last thing on the minds of people is to discuss the Word and what we have been learning about it. Even within the building where we gather to worship it seems like one annoys others if you speak of the Bible outside of the Sunday school class or the sanctuary. I remember one time heading towards a group of "friends" at church, among them one who I felt was a true friend, and as I approached one said, "look out, here comes the Bible thumper." All of the others laughed. I responded with some comment or other...don't really remember what it was. But I admit I was hurt. Among them, I felt like an outsider because all they talked about was sports or their jobs. While I love discussing my job (though I confess I detest talking about sports), it seems like among my brothers in Christ there is one thing above all we'd talk about...don't you think?

I don't mean to say we Believers should never speak about anything else. Don't make that assumption. What I am saying is that in church, and among our brethren, we are free to speak without reservation about spiritual things, so it seems to me this is the natural direction in which our conversations head. But alas, this is not the case.

About my header. Along with being called a Bible thumper, I have found that these words of Paul are so on target. It seems like people are willing to share their opinions on spiritual matters, but if you disagree with them, and voice that opinion, then you offend them. You may even become their enemy. I have lost "friends" in this manner before, and it is always a very painful experience.

One thing that keeps me cheerful, however, is the thought that despite all this I would rather have a falling away with anyone and everyone rather than compromise on the teachings of the Word. As Paul said elsewhere, "...let God be true but every man a liar." Romans 3:4

God Bless!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I admire you and your family so much!
I strive to be the kind of person who is so immersed in the Word of God that the Word of God is constantly on my lips. I feel that you and your family have the Word of God thoroughly enmeshed in your spirits and it cannot help but shine through. That kind of light can sometimes be hard for others to feel comfortable in, especially when it reveals so much they would rather have kept in the dark.
Blessings,

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how often you look at librarything but I left you a comment over there.

Tony

Enoch_Elijah said...

Julie that was really sweet what you said and it did indeed bless me and cheer me up. I am humbled by your words and yet feel I cannot match up to them, because at least for myself I so often fail to live obediently. When I look at others that I admire I assume it is so easy for them to live out their lives so obediently and zealously...but too often for me it is a struggle with the natural man!

Thank you for the kindness of your words!