Friday, March 7, 2008

Focusing my Thoughts

Last night I had the privilege once again to teach during youth group and we were finally able to complete lesson two (2) from the book “Fundamentals of the Faith.” I am enjoying this book tremendously but I must confess to feeling somewhat melancholy after the lesson. Why is this so? I regret to say that it is because I cannot shake what I must admit is a somewhat unworthy desire on my part to do whatever it takes to get these young people on fire for Christ. Why unworthy? Well, honestly, because I seem to want to usurp the role of the Holy Spirit!

You see, brothers and sisters, sometimes I wish that I and the other men in the youth leadership could simply lay our hands upon the heads of these teens and thereby transfer upon them the Holy Spirit (for those who are not Believers) or a passionate zeal for His glory (for those who profess Him as Lord). Yet I know I cannot do this. It is simply laziness on my part to want to do this, because the Word clearly tells me in 2 Timothy 4:1-5 that I am to be about my own work, teaching and doing the work of an evangelist, and let God do His part, which the Apostle Paul says is that of giving the increase (1 Corinthians 3:6)! In other words, the role God has for me is to teach faithfully and diligently from His Word, then He Himself will bring about the life change that needs to happen! I cannot do this! To pretend otherwise is to demonstrate an arrogance unequaled! Am I to call God to task for what I presume to be His failure? God forbid indeed! Yet, again, this is exactly what I do! I behave as if Hebrews 4:12 says that I am living and powerful, and that I am able to discern the thoughts and intents of the heart! We all know, however, that this beautiful verse says that “the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” To this I can only say AMEN!

I’m sure, therefore, that you can see why I am so melancholy! My arrogance shames me to my very core…thank goodness that our God and King is quick to forgive us (1 John 1:9) otherwise we would long ago have been irretrievably lost! Indeed, writing this post has helped me to get myself on the right track again…so join me my dear brothers and sisters, join me in praying that God will do a mighty work in the lives of these young people. And help me never to forget again that the work is His! That the glory is His!

Thoughts like those I’ve been having lead to compromising His Word, and this I fear more than anything else!

To Him be the glory forever and ever!

No comments: