Saturday, March 1, 2008

A Good Day for Sword Fighting

Well today we had the boffer group over and it was tons of fun. We were afraid this morning that we'd have to cancel because of the rain but then we decided that we would just host the event regardless and if it rained then we'd just play boardgames and let the boys play x-box, but the Lord gave us clear weather and so the battles were on! :)

Today we had a total of ten boys fighting, which I think may be one of the largest attended events we've had. As far as wounds go, I ended up with a bloody mouth, a fat lip, and a sore lower jaw because I ran right into a sword! :) Oh well, those are the breaks! Most amazingly, it was not even one of my sons who wounded me today! We did have three new boys join us and they were a joy to have...I pray that they had a great time (they sure seemed to!) and that they will come back.

Well the lesson was a continuation of 1 John 1, which I posted in a previous entry. We discussed verses 5-8 and there were some good comments from the boys. We discussed the difference between sinning and habitual sin, the difference between sins of omission and sins of comission (sp?), and talked about the need to walk the walk as well as talk the talk! Overall it was a good time of sharing and I look forward to finishing the chapter next time. I think I will go ahead and finish 1 John and then go on to 2 John and 3 John. Those of you reading this, please continue to pray for this time of study, that through my poor efforts these wonderful boys might come to grow in their faith and that those who do not know the Lord may come to saving faith. That is my great hope and prayer.

Before I end, I want to mention that the last few times we've had some neighborhood boys join us and this time one other neighborhood boy joined in. We also had two boys who knew my older boys in elementary school come for the fun! Praise the Lord for this opportunity to play a role in the spiritual devolpment of young men!

Well I pray that everyone has a great Lord's Day tomorrow and as always, any dad's reading this, if you can, please make the effort to join us next time...I am convinced that our boys need to see us join them and lead them in study, not only so that they might be encouraged but so that they can spend a part of a day in good physical activity with their fathers...let us not overlook this critical aspect of our parental responsibility (besides, take it from me, it's a LOT of fun!).

No comments: