Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

It is late at night and another Thanksgiving is almost over. Before I head to bed and close out this day, however, I want to say that today was a particularly special day for me. First of all, I felt so very thankful to God for giving me the wonderful family that I have. My wife and I have been married 17 years and she remains my best friend in all the world. Our marriage is strong and while we have had our share of problems (like all couples), it is clear to me that my wife loves me and I hope and pray she always knows I love her also.

I also have four wonderful sons who bring great joy to my life. The oldest also brings plenty of near heart attacks (he's learning to drive!), but I will forgive him for this since he is otherwise such a good kid. All of my sons, in fact, are good kids and I am confident that they will be servants of the Lord all the days of their lives.

Another particular blessing this year is the presence of my dear sister in law in our home. She is living with us now and I hope that she chooses to stay with us until the day some lucky man steals her away from us. Her presence with us has been so thoroughly enjoyable and I am so happy that far more than being my sister in law, she is my sister in the Lord.

All of us had a good meal today, and we played a couple of games, watched a movie, and just enjoyed the company of one another. What a perfect day!

Thank the Lord for the gift of salvation
Thank the Lord for His sovereignty in all things
Thank the Lord for the work of the Spirit in our lives

The following is what we read before the meal:

Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands! Serve the LORD with gladness; Come before His presence with singing. Know that the LORD, He is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations.
- Psalm 100

No comments: