Monday, November 3, 2008

A New Beginning


I have decided to write this evening on something I've never written before...mainly because the entire focus of my blog has been to share some of my studies and also opinions on various issues...from a theological perspective.


Tonight, however, I am going to share with you about a much more personal issue, even challenge. Now what I am going to share is nothing my dear readers don't already know (I am assuming here that my regular readers are my friends and family), but it is time I just laid it all on the table and just open up. Ready? Okay, here goes:


I am in the process of reading a book on losing weight and it sort of inspired me to become more dedicated. As you are aware, I am a big guy...and I know, you are thinking to yourselves, "but "enoch_elijah", you are the manliest of men and your muscular physique is the envy of all men!" Or something like that. But the reality of the situation is that while I concede that I am indeed quite masculine, my physique can better be described as...uhmmm...let's see...squishy. I have struggled with my weight ever since I was in my mid teens and I am now in my mid thirties! So, my goodness, enough is enough! And yes, I know that if I manage to lose the weight I'd like to lose, that my wife may be devastated because there will be less of me to love, but she'll just have to realize that we must settle for quality over quantity!


So what am I going to do? Well, for one thing, the book talks about food addiction and I must admit that what it had to say struck a nerve. And to be honest, I don't even know if this will work, but what's the worst that could happen? I mean, aside from suffering extreme humiliation as all of you mock me in a few months when I've not only failed to lose, but actually gained more weight! Let's try to avoid that ok? Back to the book though...it mentions in there keeping a record of everything you eat and what time you did so. This way you can see when you are eating and how much. Identifying the problem is the first step right? We'll see. So that's what I'm going to do. My modest goal is to lose 15 lbs. by my 36th birdthday, only a couple of months away. 7 1/2 lbs. a month...I think it's attainable! So pray for me, that the Lord will provide the willpower necessary to bring about a change in my eating habits. I'm even going to stop eating the sunflower seeds I am eating as I type! And by that I mean I'm going to stop right now, not that I'm giving them up forever. After all, I'm not a fanatic!


So what do I hope to weigh by my birthday? How about 267? Yes, I weigh 282 right now. Don't judge. ;-)

Yes, that is me in the picture...when I was 14! You must admit, despite the weight I have managed to retain the roguish good looks through the years!

2 comments:

Zorn Family said...

You are hilarious!! Too funny! Good luck on the weight loss-I'm with you on that. I'm trying to lose 12 pounds by the end of the year. And what book do you refer to? I might like to read that. Have fun in California!

Unknown said...

I remember him!!!
I'll be praying for you. Hubby and I are a bit "squishy" too.