Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Daily Musings

Hello all!

I just want to quickly share a couple of things here, including some of what I read yesterday and this morning in the Word of God.

First off, I want to say that I've started reading a book called "Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be)" by Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. It is really good so far. In it, the authors interact with the writings of such major emergent personalities as Rob Bell, Brian McLaren, Doug Pagitt, and Tony Jones. They counter the arguments coming out of the emergent camp and they do so with love and with patience. They are to be commended because when I read the writings of the above mentioned people I tend to get annoyed! :)

But anyhow, I will do a review of the book when I am done, plus I will share in the coming days some of the highlights of what I've read. For now though, I want to share that today is one of my good days. I am at total peace with my circumstances because I know that I serve an awesome God. And as I shared in a previous post, if I am truly His, then I know that His words to me are that "all things work together for good to those who love God, who are the called according to His purpose ." - Romans 8:28

And I know I've mentioned this plenty of times, but you will note carefully here that the apostle does not report that all things that happen to us as Believers are good...only that they all work together for good! This is an important distinction because otherwise we might lose hope in our God if we thought only good things would come to us! I know for a fact this is not true, as I'm sure some of you reading this also know it. So let us always take comfort from knowing that whatsoever may come, it will be for our good. And we may not see that good in this life, but we all know that this temporary existence is nothing when compared to the coming eternal existence! And let us look upon the trials that come our way in this life as preparation for that coming time when we shall dwell with the Lord, whether in heaven if it is before His return, or in the new earth if He should return soon!

Well, as you may know I've been reading throug the Psalms, so here are some tidbits:

"Gracious is the Lord, and righteous; yes, our God is merciful."
- Psalm 116:5

How comforting indeed it is to know that our God is merciful and that He is righteous. This brings to my mind that my God will not allow me to go through more trials than I can handle, for He is merciful. And it means that whatever I can handle He will use to shape me or prepare me for the works which He prepared beforehand for me to walk in, for He is rightous and everything He does is for a good reason.

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints."
- Psalm 116:15

Now this too was comforting...as odd as that may seem! You see, I do not face death in my current tribulation. But even if I did, and even if my enemies triumphed over me, my death would not be a light matter to my Lord! No...for the death of His saints is precious to Him. It hurst our Lord to see His people suffer, but suffer they will, and it will be to His glory! Not that their suffering is a good thing, but that their death will be used for a good purpose. And what a reward will come to those who die for His sake. We are all heirs...we are all secure in our inheritance, but for some, God has decreed that they suffer shame and death or His sake. Do not pity them and do not dare attribute to God any sense of injustice. For they are precious to Him and the delight and glory that is theirs will be awesome. At the same time, save your pity for those who cause the death or shame of His servants...pray that they repent even as they kill and manipulate. Otherwise it will truly be terrible to stand before a righteous Judge on the day when they must face Him.

"Praise the Lord, all you Gentiles! Laud Him, all you peoples! For His merciful kindness is great toward us, and the truth of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord!"
- Psalm 117

Yeah I know that having read all of Psalm 117 is no big achievement since it only has two verses! Still, come on, give people credit for their accomplishments! LOL

Seriously though, this chapter reminds me to praise Him at all times. The phrase "Praise the Lord!" is the word "Hallelujah!" Therefore, we thank God and we praise Him because of His amazing attributes which He reveals to us. His mercy and His kindness has no equal. Those who are His people are truly favored. And His truth, His Word, His revealtion, will endure forever. So worry not when the servants of Satan attack His precious Truth's. Stand firm against the attacks but don't despair, for the war is won already! God will be triumphant!

Well, this is what I have learned since last night. I hope it encourages you as much as I was encouraged by it.

2 comments:

Doug Pagitt said...

if you have not yet read my book "A Christianity Worth Believing" I would suggest you give it a try.

Enoch_Elijah said...

I have not read it but will definitely do so! :)