Friday, July 18, 2008

Learning from the Psalms

"I cry out to the LORD with my voice; with my voice to the LORD I make my supplication. I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk they have secretly set a snare for me. Look on my right hand and see, for there is no one who acknowledges me; Refuge has failed me; No one cares for my soul. I cried out to You, O LORD: I said, “You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living. Attend to my cry, for I am brought very low; deliver me from my persecutors, for they are stronger than I. Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise Your name; the righteous shall surround me, for You shall deal bountifully with me.”
- Psalm 142

Despite the melancholy tone of this psalm, it has brought me great joy today as I've spent the better part of the morning contemplating it. Strange how the most unlikely things are the ones that often point us to the heart of what we need from the Lord isn't it? For myself, this passage gave me such a sense of contentment to know that I can cry out to Him in moments of despair. Even today when I am feeling really good and have a very positive outlook on my situation, this passage fills me with even more encouragement.

Why is that?

Well...for one, this passage tells me that I am free to call out to my God. That I am free to make my supplication to the Creator of the universe! Can you imagine such a thing? When my spirit is overwhelmed...I still have the promise from Him that He knows my path! He knows what I am suffering, He knows what I am struggling with! For those of us who are saved, how can this NOT be a comfort? Even in the midst of trials! Indeed, I join the psalmist in shouting from within my soul that He is my refuge!

And do you know what? I know that He will deal bountifully with me. I have no doubt about this. How could I dare to doubt? Does His word not tell me that He is my high tower, my shield? Does His word not tell me that indeed I should be happy because I belong to that people whose God is the Lord? (Psalm 145:15)

Yes it does!

Therefore I will be happy and rejoice for my God is the Lord! What a declaration to be able to make!

Amen?

No comments: