Saturday, July 12, 2008

Thoughts For Today

Hello all:

These last couple of days have been good days for me and my family. We are feeling a sense of peace about the situation we find ourselves in and are looking forward to what God has in store for us. Regardless of how our situation turns out there will be many changes in our lives, but this is not necessarily bad since sometimes we just need to be reminded by the Lord about what things we need to focus our energies on.

For myself, I think I have come to the realization of how important family is. Whatever decisions we make once this situation is over (favorably I pray), I don't think I'll ever take family for granted again. Just as important is good Christian fellowship. A number of our brethren have been such an encouragement, whether through a quick phone call to check on us or through dropping off a meal. It is amazing how little it takes to be an encouragment! This also is something my wife and I will remember, because so often we have thought that in order to encourage others we would need to go to some big production...but now we both know that it is the little things that matter most. So again, one lesson I will not forget is that we need to work on good Christian fellowship. Maintaining these relationships involves work, and I am more than willing to put the work into these friends who have shown themselves true by their actions. If any of you are reading this: THANK YOU!!

Finally, before I share what I read this morning, I want to say that those with whom I work have been such an enouragement as well. Even though the vast majority do not have any clue about what I'm going through, they have been loving and caring enough to reach out to me with an email, a phone call, or a quick hello as I've seen them when I've gone in to work. To all of you, if any of you read my blog...THANK YOU as well! :)

In my daily reading I've reached the 100 mark on the Psalms, so now I want to share just a few verses that have helped me throughout the day:

1)
"Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands! Serve the LORD with gladness; come before His presence with singing. Know that the LORD, He is God; it is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name. For the LORD is good; His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations."
- Psalm 100:1-5

What a joy to know that the Lord is good and that His mercy is indeed everlasting! How dare I question my Lord? How dare I ask of Him why He would permit wicked things to come to me? No...I dare not go that route, instead I will join the psalmist in entering His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise!

2)
"Bless the LORD, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from destruction, who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, who satisfies your mouth with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The LORD executes righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed."
- Pslam 103:1-6

Throughout this whole ordeal I have been sorely tempted to lash out in anger...to speak terrible things of that one who has brought all of this upon me...to despair and be overcome with the self pity that comes so naturally to us. But God has given me the strength to abstain from these actions. First off...He is the righteous judge and not me. He is the one who will execute judgment. Therefore my concern should be with blessing His holy name and remembering the grace that He has given to me. And one other thing...praying for the salvation of the one whose actions have brought this ordeal upon my family and I. May His mercy and saving grace come upon her.

2 comments:

Ardian said...

I find something that I have in common with you in the last part of your post. Too often we have lack of forgiveness and wish to lash out in anger as you said, and we often pity ourselves. I will be praying for you and your family as you go through this ordeal, as will the rest of my family!

Enoch_Elijah said...

Thanks Ardian for your comment and your encouragement. And thanks for the prayers, I really appreciate them at this time. It's amazing how the knowledge that there are people praying for me gives me such strength to go on!

:)